Evidence-Based Argumentation Across Boston 2017 Conference: Register here!
PURPOSE & OUTCOMES
The purpose of the “Evidence-Based Argumentation Across Boston 2017 Conference” is to bring together teachers from across Boston Public Schools to collaborate, exchange resources and strategies, and lead and learn from each other in the practice of teaching student argumentation and fostering student voice in the classroom. This is a conference for and by EBA teachers and is designed to both foster collaboration and innovation amongst experienced EBA teachers and to provide a hands-on introduction to BPS teachers who are new to EBA.
The outcomes for the conference are for all participants to come away with:
- Concrete tools, resources, and strategies on using EBA to teach argumentation and foster student voice in the classroom.
- Connection to the EBA Network of teachers across Boston Public Schools, and renewed sense of energy and purpose around the work.
- Breakfast, lunch, and EBA goodie bag, including flash drive of electronic EBA resources.
- 10 PDPs (with submission of EBA artifact after the conclusion of the conference) and experiences/artifacts that support teachers’ individual goals (e.g., for EDFS).
The EBA Conference will be held on January 7, 2017, 8:30 am – 4 pm. The Conference is open to all teachers in the EBA network (both within BPS and beyond), as well as BPS teachers interested in learning more about EBA.
WORKSHOPS: Participants may attend 3 workshops, all of which will engage them in EBA in a hands-on way and provide them with concrete takeaways that they can use in their classrooms. Participants choose from a menu of workshops. We will determine workshop strands based on feedback from conference registrants on topics they would like to explore during the conference. Most workshops will be led by teachers from across the EBA network who actively use, refine, and innovate with EBA in their classrooms. Boston Debate League staff may lead a handful of workshops.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER AND TEACHER/STUDENT SHOWCASE: In addition to participating in hands-on workshops, participants will be able to attend a keynote address, as well as a video showcase and discussion of EBA work, led by a BPS teacher and students.
SCHEDULE: The expected flow of the day is below. This schedule is subject to change, and will be confirmed in advance of the conference:
- 8:00 am – 8:30 am: Registration, Breakfast
- 8:30 am – 9:20 am: Welcome, Student/Teacher Showcase, and Overview of Day
- 9:30 am – 10:50 am: Workshop #1
- 11:00 am – 12:20 pm: Workshop #2
- 12:20 pm – 1:10pm: Lunch
- 1:20pm – 2:00pm: Keynote Address
- 2:10pm – 3:30pm: Workshop #3
- 3:40pm – 4:00pm: Feedback, Raffle, and Closing
REGISTRATION & COST
The cost to attend the conference is $100/participant (free for current EBA partner school teachers). This fee covers breakfast, lunch, access to all workshops and keynote address, flash drive with all conference materials, and the EBA goodie bag.
Please submit your $100 conference fee by credit card by clicking here
Or by mailing a $100 check payable to “Boston Debate League” to):
Marisa Suescun, Boston Debate League
54 Canal Street, 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
For a printable version of the above information, click on the link below: